Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Below from the Journal. It looks like the focus is being swung to where the publishers percieve the ad revenues are.

Actually I feel rather guilty. I was on the phone to Journal journalist Tim Lamden yesterday at about 4:00 being interviewed about the cashmob when he was suddenly and urgently called away. He told me, "Sorry everyone's been called to an urgent meeting. I have to go". I quipped back, "Ok, speak to you later....if you still have a job, that is" ...and we both laughed. I'd no idea and assumed it was an editorial meeting. Times like these I should have known better. I've already messaged to apologise.:

The Hornsey Journal series is set to go digital-only later this month, with a new print edition of the Ham&High Broadway launched in the west of Haringey, the paper’s owners have announced.

The Hornsey, Crouch End & Muswell Hill Journal and the Tottenham & Wood Green Journal will print their final editions on October 4. The Journal, originally established in print in 1879, will continue to provide its readers with the latest news via its websites only.

The Ham&High Broadway, a paid-for weekly newspaper in the Ham&High stable, will launch on October 11 as part of a relaunch of the Ham&High newspaper brand, and will cover Muswell Hill and Crouch End. The changes are part of a strategic review of the portfolio of newspapers owned by Archant London.

Its managing director Will Hattam said: “London is an ever-changing city, with its series of ‘villages’ constantly redefining themselves. Our products need to evolve to reflect the needs of each area in which we publish, which means that we need constantly to review our circulation areas, formats and distribution.”

The Ham&High series is to be relaunched with a new design, additional pagination, and with expanded free distribution of 3,000 copies via letterbox distribution in Hampstead Garden Suburb.

The redesign will focus on the layout of key sections including the front page and its arts and entertainments section, with more pages, a vibrant new look and exciting changes to content.

As a result of these changes, and others in Archant London, staff will work on different titles, and a single editorial role is at risk of redundancy.

Mr Hattam added: “Our newspapers play a pivotal role in the community life of north London by providing a vibrant, effective and sustainable media. We are committed to continue to play this key role in producing both print and digital formats.”

Views: 2282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what a shame. its such sad news to hear of people losing their jobs. good luck to all those effected by its closure.

Many may not lose their jobs since the papers will survive in digital form with a west of borough only printed version.

I will miss getting the Thursday edition of the Hornsey Journal and having a cup of coffee usually in Crouch End.  The broad range of stories about the area help to connect the local community.  

I also prefer the feel of a newspaper in my hands.   Digital is so specific, one story at the time, just not the same as roaming around a newspaper.  Hope the replacment Ham and High does actually focus on local news issues rather than Camden or Swiss cottage.

fingers crossed

Oh no! No news is sad news in this case!!

For reasons that I hope are obvious, I'm not in a position to comment further on this decision.

But, I would encourage anyone with a view on this move to send a letter (by email or snail mail) to the paper before noon on Monday, for consideration of inclusion on the letters page of what will be the final printed edition of the Journal in its 133-year history.

I have devoted more than eight years of my life to these papers so far; thanks to everyone who has been interested enough to buy, read, and talk about the stories we've run, kind and receptive enough to take our calls or visits, and concerned enough to tip us off.

BUT THIS ISN'T THE END. As stated above, both titles will continue to run as an online entity. The finer details of how, and by whom, still have to be ironed out. If you happen to live in the west of the borough, you will be served by the Ham&High Broadway, which launches on October 11.

That's about all I can say at the moment.

Thanks again,

Stephen.

This is a terrible shame. As a local secondary school headteacher it's mattered to me to be able to talk to local  journalists who listen to what you say and make every effort to represent it properly. The national media can be guilty of demonising youth, that is not true locally. Local paper readership is,  I think, much higher in the east of Haringey than the west. I can only assume that the decision has been made because the paper cannot attract enough advertisers from Tottenham business. Working out why is probably not difficult. A digital only edition will disconnect a lot of residents from their community. Local newspapers perform a public service, particularly in areas like Tottenham.

If you want more than this for Monday let me know.

Alex Atherton

It is gutting, for a lot of groups and people it is the only platform they have to get their viewpoint out, for example the Anti Academies or Wards Corner. There are also great things I would never had known about if it werent for the journal, like local groups and peoples opinion.

Tim and Flora are brilliant, really entrenched themselves into the community and worked all hours to get that story, I remember following Flora on the Wards Corner live feed on Twitter, I think that meeting went on til 2am!!

Not sure I am liking the idea of an online only local paper, reading the letters for a start is lost.

Was merging the Hornsey & Tottenham Journals to make a Haringey Journal considered?

I'm definitely buying the last copy.

That is really sad news.  It is great for local news and has been about the only support available for local matters.  I bet our local politicians will whoop with joy.  Perhaps a link on the comments from this site could be sent to the Hornsey Journal.

I bet our local politicians will whoop with joy.

Sadly, I think some of them will. For example, former Executive Cabinet Member (Councillor Lorna Reith) once responded, at an Area Assembly meeting, to a question about Haringey People magazine, from the late, great Ralph Crisp.

Ralph queried the need for the Council's expensive, unsolicited publication.

Cllr. Reith answered (brazenly) that the council's publication was justified, in order to balance or counteract negative comment (i.e. criticism) from the local press. As a former Communist, Cllr Reith understands the use and value of propaganda.

Clive, having read the principles of Communism more than a few times, I find no reference to the necessity of town hall newspapers as a fundamental rule. That Councillor Reith is or was a member of the Communist Party has no bearing on that debate at all, please stop getting this in as a sideswipe to the councillor as though it is something we should all be concerned about. She may have faults, I don't know, but believing in an alternative economic system to capitalism is hardly top of the list. On the topic of propaganda, some of the finest exponents of it were the British both in defence of their reprehensible Empire and later in fighting anti-life ideologies in Europe. I'm guessing that the Bolsheviks learned from the best...

The use of council magazines isn't confined to Haringey, most councils have some form of communication in the form of a mag. In these tough times of course, it is debatable whether they need to be so glossy, have so many pictures of beaming councillors or be delivered to every household. I am sad to see the print version go of the HJ/TJ but if people don't buy it and businesses don't advertise in it, it is inevitable. Archant is a business not a community service ultimately. The journalists are forced to cover wider and wider areas which means that the kind of alternative investigative journalism that holds the town hall to account is pretty much a thing of the past. A lot of what we read in local papers is basically press releases rehashed, some court reporting and the odd story picked up via political parties or the civic core. This is not the journalists fault but it means that it is hard for them to really chase stories. While I appreciate the idea that some groups may lose their platform if they are not online, the HJ/TJ is not going away and things like journalists covering events via Twitter which is an innovation I applaud and would like to see more of will continue as will coverage of good things happening in the borough. 

Print media is in crisis across the board and no one has come up with a way to reverse this. Local papers are closing across the country. We're are in the midst of a different kind of revolution to the ones Clive likes to allude to and sadly this means, as in all revolutions, some things disappear to make way for the new. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service