Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

And here's another thing. By my reckoning 115,332 votes were actually cast for Labour in Haringey. That means 170,328 votes actually cast were actually cast for some other party. That is for every 2 Labour votes there were 3 anti-Labour votes. On the basis of which Labour councillors will appoint a more or less untouchable mayor with the power to make decisions and to appoint whomever she wishes to be in her cabinet. Which will make decisions almost unopposed and un scrutinised until the next time this voting business happens and a majority of local people once again choose someone other than labour to run Haringey. Someone should do something about it.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local elections, disgusted of Crouch End, end of local democracy

Views: 54

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An interesting discussion. However, I would add that we have just democratically elected our council and will have a leader with democratically conferred powers.

There are means available for us to scrutinise. A critical missing factor though is people's willingness to get involved.

We are the someone's with the the power to do something. We just have to step up to the plate as individuals and as a community.

You may be interested in this blog I added some while ago.
I should proabably add that I've met Claire Kober for discussions a number of times and have found her clear minded, open and focussed. I've also had discussions with a number of her most senior staff who are impressed with her. So, in as far as I'm able to judge, we have a competent leader.

That doesn't mean of course that we shouldn't shy away from full democratic involvement which may sometimes mean disagreement.
In connection with the Wards Corner development that Haringey wants to ram through, the Court of Appeal has reserved its judgement. The comments by all three judges at the Hearing suggest that they would take a lot of persuading that Haringey did discharge its obligations under Section 71 of The Race Relations Act..

Haringey ignored its responsibilities under this Act because it was inconvenient to consider impact on Black and Minority Ethnic communities. In order to cover this omission, there was bluster from the Borough's barrister. Is it not the case, that Haringey pays lip service to race relations; and the relevant law used only when it suits?

LBH did not listen to what residents said or wanted. It is hard to see where democracy lay in this case. As a last resort to deal with council incompetence, residents are obliged to turn to the legal system. It represents failure when there has to be such recourse, but the Courts remain a level playing field that the council finds it difficult to rig.

We all await the judges' Decision on Wards Corner with interest – it should be published within the next week to five weeks.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service