Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is it appropriate for Grainger to give £1,000 of sponsorship to Haringey Council's winter market 2015?

The latest twist in the relationship between Haringey Council and developers is that Grainger plc are providing a sponsorship of £1,000 for the council's Winter Market, happening on Saturday 5th December.

That Grainger are funding council activities is nothing new. When they sponsored the council to attend the MIPIM 2014 and 2015 gatherings in Cannes, I expressed concern that a company with the intention of introducing a controversial development was funding the council to go to a world property sales event. The answer I got from the council was that it goes to Cannes as the land-owning authority, and when it is in Haringey (LONDON) it is the planning authority.

Now Grainger have submitted that controversial development as a planning application; and still the council believes it is appropriate to be accepting money from them. I suspect the council will claim the sponsorship of the event is not connected to the planning committee's consideration of the Grainger proposal. And while I am not suggesting that is anything improper is taking place, Grainger will hope to win over local people through this sponsorship.

According to an article in the Tottenham Independent there are others who are concerned about the conflict of interest.
http://www.thetottenhamindependent.co.uk/news/14043948.Campaigners_...

What do people think? I guess few will be surprised at the council taking money from a developer. But from a company with a current planning application being considered by the council? Surely that is inappropriate.

Tags for Forum Posts: grainger plc, haringey council regeneration, ward's corner

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beer money for Grainger.
If the council was paying for it you'd probably say it was a waste of your council tax.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service