Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I believe that I was lucky not to have been the victim of a 'lebanese loop' type fraud at the santander on Green lanes this weekend. It was at the cash machine at the Santander on Green Lanes.

The slot seemed a bit tight went the card went in - and I looked for signs of skimming device but couldn't see anything.

However, when my card came out, some sort of device came with it  - and which looked as though it was designed to keep my card IN  the cash point. I moved away from the area very quickly as suddenly there was a man shouting, and another guy who looked slightly suspicious hanging around so the atmosphere was a bit disconcerting  -  I wanted to leave the area asap with my money and my card. 

Have reported to harringay safer neighbourhoods and santander, but apparently this kind of thing is on the rise and wanted to let people know too.

Tags for Forum Posts: bank machines, santander, santander cash machines

Views: 1956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done for getting away with your bank account unscathed.

Do you think one shouty/suspicious people could have been looking at your pin over your shoulder at the time? Might be worth changing your pin just to be on the super safe side (depending on the advice the police give)

who is checking the security cameras in that place so many problems with that cash machine. 

thanks for telling us - will definitely be aware of this now.

Yes inside machines if work/life balance allows, plus you can get cashback from supermarkets (e.g. the local Sainsburys) at almost any hour, and that's secure too.

The Santander card machine is CONSTANTLY being tampered with, it's extremely annoying besides anything else as it means it is regularly out of action. I've spoken to Santander about it in the past. I can't help but feel some CCTV might help.

Just to add my two cents - my brother is a copper who worked primarily on Oxford street and dealt with these.
Things to look out for:
1. guys opposite or near card machines watching - he said they always hang around to watch.
2. A device above the key pad - the most basic one he found was a grey plastic box with an iPod nano filming the keypad. That's why you should cover your pin - not just for people watching!
3. Anything unwieldy over the card slot.
He also said that machines inside shops - although they charge - are generally safer.
I'm a bit obsessive about looking for signs when using these machines now - but well done for getting your card. Always call the bank - and I'd say call the police too.

This machine is notorious. Had several thousand taken from my account a few years ago because of similar shouting/distracting incident. Try to go to the machine inside if at all possible.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service