Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local Harringay ward Councillor James Ryan has resigned. There will be a selection meeting by the Labour Party followed by a far more perfunctory by-election.

Zena Brabazon!!!! Please stand in our ward!

Local Labour Party members, please select Zena!

More details here and here. Expect Council Leader Claire Kober to have an alternative candidate in mind.

Tags for Forum Posts: by-election, democracy, labour, politics

Views: 7939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Religious festivals? That was just an example, John. Legally, there's no such requirement or power. But I think the political parties would all want to maximise the opportunity for as many electors as possible to cast their votes. Another example might be to see if it's possible to avoid the coldest darkest months which might discourage some people from going out to the polling station. Or avoiding the most popular weeks for holidays when people may be away.
I'm assuming here that following the formal "Notice of a Casual Vacancy" it would normally be the parties which arrange for two electors to trigger the process by requesting a by-election.
In fact, that's not a requirement either. As far as I know, once a Casual Vacancy Notice has been published, then any  two Haringey electors can trigger this process by giving such notice to "the Proper Officer" - who must set a date for the by-election for within 35 working days of the date of receipt of the requests.

So, ideally, it would be set for some time in mid August when the Blairites and Mandelsonian Labour types are spending their summer in the Tuscan villas or French chateaux of wealthy friends?

As a member of Labour, Alan, how to you see the selection outcome? A right of centre Harris Academy fiddler, or another right of centre Kober career politician? Or do you think firebrand Julie Davies might find time to put her hat in the ring?

Will you or Zena make an Ali-style comeback?
Is it possible for de facto Harringay Councillor, Clive Carter to represent two wards?

I predict LibDem and Greens will split the Living Wightman vote allowing incumbent Labour to retain the seat.

However, the Monster Driving Loony "Cars Are People Too" Party will lose their deposit.

Off to place my bets now, anyone know where the nearest bookmakers is?

James who?

Zena will be hampered by the whips. If she speaks her mind, she will be out like Gideon Bull. Labour has a massive majority on the council, so one more Labour councillor won't make any difference. The opposition needs to be strengthened. 

What would Matthew Cuthbert + fellow Greens (1,787 total in 2014) require to stand aside this time and throw their weight behind the LDs (3,199 total in 2014), but specifically behind Karen Alexander (1,182 in 2014; 2,244 in 2010; topping the poll with 1,308 in 2006) ?  Karen has proved her worth as a ward councillor over eight years. The alternative, as we all know, is that the Kober organ grinders can ship in an invisible, inaudible monkey to pick up at least 1,395 votes as was the case in May 2014.

As Justin Hinchcliffe suggests, Harringay and Haringey opposition needs strengthening. Perhaps Harringay's 600+ Conservative voters from 2014 could redirect their ballots to ensure we again have one strong opposition councillor who has already served Harringay well for most of the past decade. 

Let's also remember what Lenin said about Council power plus the electrification of the GOBLIN...

Many of us assumed Councillor James Ryan resigned over a year ago!

I agree with John McMullan, Zena Brabazon please stand!!

The shortlisting meeting won't be happening until after 6 July at the Harringay ward Labour party meeting so plenty of time for people to put themselves forward (as a Labour candidate that is)
Sorry, that should be "on or after 6July"

Council told me this morning polling will be on the 28th July

Rotters! That is the school holidays!

So the LP selection must be imminent. I presume Karen will be running for the LDs. I wonder who the 300+ members of the Labour Party in Harringay will be selecting...

Honestly, what is the hurry? It's not as if James has spent the last 13 months holding up the ward with his amazing capacity for work.

I couldn't see the notice of election on the Haringey website. Have you spotted it anywhere Matt?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service