Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Apologies if this has been posted before and I missed it, but the wonderful folk behind the Mapping London project have a nice piece about a project that allows you to look at modern areas of London side by side their equivalent map from 100 years ago.

I've not had much time to play around with it (and it isnt the most immediately easy interface) but my first result for Harringay is here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=51.57...

More details about the whole project here:
http://mappinglondon.co.uk/2014/london-100-years-ago/

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay house, maps

Views: 632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Using a different technique, here's an overlay of Harringay House map over Google Maps that I added to the site six years ago (my god, can it be that long ago already!).

Thanks Hugh, I'd missed that. The thing that I really like about this site is that you can look at the current and the 100 year old map side by side and move them around together. Very clever!

Yes, thanks. It's a great site. I'm a bit of a map geek.

You might already have seen, but the tool at the link below allows you to compare a map from the 1890s with the current google map/ satellite image. The slider allows you to switch between the two, and even merge them together. It's fascinating to see how lots of the housing in Harringay and around seems to have been built in clumps, rather than road by road.

http://maps.google.com/gallery/details?id=zs2aHyi7W8Ek.kggHTef2F49I...

That's fascinating – I didn't realise Noel Park originally looked out on fields. And interesting to see how Downhills Park Rd follows the field boundaries exactly. And it's got the Hornsey Park area name north of Turnpike Lane that was someone mentioned recently.

It would be quite a useful resource for anyone buying property, as you can see the Moselle etc meandering in and out of gardens and identify various random bits of surface water that are now under your house.

With regards to "Hornsey Park", you'll see that many areas had  'park' attached to them. Just as similar practices are employed by estate agents today, this habit of giving pastoral sounding names to newly urbanised areas was common practice amongst Victorian land companies.

You can see "Lister Park", for the area, just to the west of Hornsey Station, "Coleraine Park" for the area just to the east of "Hornsey Park" and "Harringay Park" for the Harringay Ladder. In some cases the names had a historical connection to the areas they were attached to. Harringay Park, for example, was commonly used to describe the present-day Ladder area for the century between 1786 and 1880. I'm not aware of any direct connection between Coleraine Park and the area given that name in the map on Google. The Coleraine family did live in Bruce Castle, however. So it may be that this was the connection, or there may have been a family member who had a house just north of Turnpike Lane. 

As far 'Hornsey Park' is concerned, to the best of my knowledge the boundaries of Hornsey Park were to the West of Highgate. (See map below).

The Victoria County History Has this to say:

In 1387, Hornsey Park, which occupied the site of the present Highgate, was the place where the nobles met together, says Norden, "in a hostile manner, to rid the king (Richard II.) of those traitors he had about him."

i hadn't seen it Sean - great find.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service