Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Licensing Committee has granted permission for a premises licence for Betfred (next to the Post Office). One slender hope remains in the form of a possible refusal from the Planning Inspectorate for planning permission, whose decision is still awaited, but with the licence now granted, the scales are tipped further against us.

What all this means, which of course we already knew, is that it is impossible to prevent an unlimited number of betting shops opening in our community.

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting shops, gambling, green lanes

Views: 1191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Peter for reminding us. You were in there protesting when it was neither popular nor profitable - except for the bookies. Certainly a demo outside the Building Society I used for thirty-five years would have my support and presence. And yes, non party political. Certainly involve D.Lammy, D.Schmitz, S.Sullivan and any councillors or would-be councillors who are up for it, but no 'colonization' of the issue.
Yes Peter's a star. I saw him in there – Haringey Council Licence Hearings – battling two years ago, along with Ian, Hugh and of course Mario.

I remember the irrepressible Mario once making the point, why are representatives of the community put to that kind of time, trouble and expense, time and again, when the community has made clear its views repeatedly?

Many councillors (with one or two notable exceptions) are like-minded. Why is nothing being done? The law is not serving the community; the system is not working. It calls for public demonstration.
I agree that the organisational and bureaucratic aspects of arranging a demo shouldn't put us off. I'll definitely be there if we manage to pull it off.
There was a demo around ten years ago on Green Lanes regarding traffic in the area, I am pretty sure that was not organised officially and we even blocked Green Lanes for a while. There were around 150 there, all peaceful.
Can ask SNT Thursday if you like (?)

Andy Smith and I think Paul MacKay organised the one you refer to years ago.
That'd be a good idea Matt, to test the water, so to speak.
The whole point of staging ademo on the grand opening day is to piss on their parade. Usaully the big business bookies will have a ceblbrity sports person opening the shop as better bet did with paul merson. The bookies will be inviting the press down and will have their own PR. Official or not if we get there for the grand opening it will send a much more powerful message that just waiting to be invited to demonstrate. We could flash mob it or somethimg like that. The police will not arrest us if we are peacful and have cross party coucillors and MPs and children present the fact that the street is so small will make our crowd look bigger and the close proximity of all the betting shops means we could kill 4 birds with one stone.

I have moved to kingston for 6 months so cannot easily find ot when the shop will open but will happily turn up to demonstrate and take advice from anyone who wished to be part of this. So I will count my self in as a demonstator, KatyM appears to have confiremd as another as has Anette who else?
I will come if I am in London on the day of the grand opening. It seems that issues about getting permission to demonstrate etc arent bothering anyone here on HoL so wont bother me any longer. I shouldnt worry about blocking traffic- some very inconsiderate drivers do that everyday just to pop in to get their kebabs and cash point money.
If we know the day and time, we can be there then.
In the meantime, I will be using a betting office for the Grand National, but just the one! I dont need ten.
I support the idea of a peaceful demo. It is possible the gambling company involved will be aware of this public discussion and will be planning accordingly. If they are concerned about a demo (which would embarrass them) and still want to hold a grand opening, they are likely to keep the date and time under wraps for as long as possible in order to wrong-foot a demo. Need to keep ears to ground and possibly discuss non-publicly.
Wise words Clive.

BTW, I wonder why they don't appear to be in any great hurry to open for business, in fact, there doesn't appear to be any activity on the site.

Considering Metro & Better threw their doors open as soon as they had all the licensing & planning regs sorted, I'm amazed they haven't opened already.
They've got planning permission but do we know they've got a license yet? The Appeal they won concerned the planning side and was won mainly because the appeal Board said that most of the concerns raised were licensing and not planning concerns.
I'm afraid the license was granted on or around February 11th Bushy, as per the title of this dscussion. There are no further impediments to prevent them opening as far as I'm aware.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service