Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I thought " that's a bit of a bargain " and popped a pack into my trolley.

It was only when I stopped to check if there were any cooking instructions that I noticed that they were £2.99 EACH and that the true price of the pack is £ 5.98. Now maybe I was being naive about the price, but then, I'm only a man

I also noticed that a 300g jar of Nescafe is cheaper than a 200g one and that the paper refill packs are by far the most expensive way of buying coffee. Am I crazy, or are they ?

Tags for Forum Posts: sainsbury's

Views: 1237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that is misleading. I think once multiple items are 'prepacked', I expect to see a pack price displayed, rather than a price per item.

That's very misleading. In fact I would be happy to pass this on to my buddy at Sainsbury's HQ for an explanation!

Not seen any quite that bad, but I did notice on my last visit that a lot of bulk 'value' packs are more expensive than buying two smaller ones (Felix cat food was the one that sticks in the mind!) That's a very old trick though...surprised if it still works.

You could contact the Office of Fair Trading if you think this smells fishy. The BERR or the Department for Business and Regulatory Reform is responsible for formulating and regulating advertisement guidelines.

The Song against Grocers

God made the wicked Grocer 
For a mystery and a sign, 
That men might shun the awful shops 
And go to inns to dine; 
Where the bacon's on the rafter 
And the wine is in the wood, 
And God that made good laughter 
Has seen that they are good. 

The evil-hearted Grocer 
Would call his mother "Ma'am," 
And bow at her and bob at her, 
Her aged soul to damn, 
And rub his horrid hands and ask 
What article was next 
Though MORTIS IN ARTICULO 
Should be her proper text. 

His props are not his children, 
But pert lads underpaid, 
Who call out "Cash!" and bang about 
To work his wicked trade; 
He keeps a lady in a cage 
Most cruelly all day, 
And makes her count and calls her "Miss" 
Until she fades away. 

The righteous minds of innkeepers 
Induce them now and then 
To crack a bottle with a friend 
Or treat unmoneyed men, 
But who hath seen the Grocer 
Treat housemaids to his teas 
Or crack a bottle of fish sauce 
Or stand a man a cheese? 

He sells us sands of Araby 
As sugar for cash down; 
He sweeps his shop and sells the dust 
The purest salt in town, 
He crams with cans of poisoned meat 
Poor subjects of the King, 
And when they die by thousands 
Why, he laughs like anything. 

The wicked Grocer groces 
In spirits and in wine, 
Not frankly and in fellowship 
As men in inns do dine; 
But packed with soap and sardines 
And carried off by grooms, 
For to be snatched by Duchesses 
And drunk in dressing-rooms. 

The hell-instructed Grocer 
Has a temple made of tin, 
And the ruin of good innkeepers 
Is loudly urged therein; 
But now the sands are running out 
From sugar of a sort, 
The Grocer trembles; for his time, 
Just like his weight, is short.

GK Chesterton

Truly prophetic of GK to foresee the coming of both Grocer Heath and his nemesis, the Grocer's Daughter from Grantham.

I know, just a truly amazing man. Can you imagine a modern song writer doing something like that? I also like the way he encourages us to spend more time in the "inn". It really is time better spent.

It's generally cheaper to buy larger.   Bit of a shock about the fish, but you can always challenge price at customer services.

Today I went to Waitrose as I'd received a new MyWaitrose card and £5.00 off voucher yesterday.  At the checkout, the tiller said she couldn't accept the voucher as it was dated 31.12.12.   I insisted that it only arrived yesterday (true) and after three other members of staff got involved, it was accepted.   I think the first of many of those.    

So I think you could have argued for the original price of the fish and, as a customer, you should be able to pay the suggested price.

What do you mean by 'the fhe first of many of those'? Arguments at the till or £5 vouchers? The partner was only doing her job. If you went to the service desk afterwards and explained the situation I'm sure they would have happily accepted your voucher and given you a £5 refund. Waitrose generally bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Well spotted John. This is surely deceptive and by no means the first time Sainsbury's has been caught out.

They continue to do it because 9 times out of 10, they'll get away with it – the punter will only realise they've been had when they get home, when its a bit late. If someone reasonably thinks that the item is the pack, then far from saving a third, they're paying one third more than they expect.

Sainsbury's deception stems from exploiting the general correct perception that you save money per unit by buying in bulk - or at least more than one.

Where are Trading Standards?

In the absence of effective Trading Standards, or effective consumer legislation, all the public can do is publicise the crooks and take their business elsewhere.

To be clear - I noticed before I bought the pack and put it back on the shelf.

As far as Trading Standards and others go, this is not advertising: Sainsbury's could probably hide behind the principle that a displayed price is an " invitation to treat " and that they are not obliged to sell at that, or indeed, any other price.

But if I had got as far as the checkout I doubt that I would have noticed that I was paying more than I thought.

I understood that Trading Standards was more than just advertising, it's about description and weights and measures. Not about an invitation to cheat.

At what point does an imbalance in size – between a misleading big headline and the small print's tiny truth – become dishonesty? I reckon Hugh is going to have to come up with a new pop-up category for new posts:  "Sainsbury misselling".

If traders in the City make a mistake there is either some rapacious arbitrageur out to there to "have their eyes out" or a hefty fine from the FSA. Their customers are wealthy people with money to burn in the markets, not busy homemakers struggling for calories to devote to their mathematical faculties as they "shop".

Sainsbury's are definitely making mistakes in their favour a bit more often than you would expect if they were "fair" mistakes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service