Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Not very Inspiring: local Labour Twitterers stick the tweetboot in to David Schmitz & Gorrie

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is required Julie but it's also polite in political conversations. Thanks.

No, unlike the Labour party who have been in government your DNA is not required, just an email address and maybe a nice pic (ta!).

Go Harringay!

Yeah Baby!
Julie, I am not quite sure what point you are making, but last time I looked at a map Woodside and Noel Park are definitely to the East. Bounds Green is central - but is actually still East of the railway.
David,

Can you explain more what you mean by East/West split? I don't know about this.

Also, Clare Klober's triumphalism?

Thanks for this information.
The map here shows the split - the vertical line tracing the railway line:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/chapter_3_profile_of_haringey.pdf

The west has long been wealthier than the east but I think that things have become worse. Every measure of health and well being you can think of shows very marked contrast. In the local election I think that all the councillors to the west are now lib-dem. All to the East are Labour - except that is for Harringay.

Clare Klober speech is on this site:

http://www.harringayonline.com/video/claire-kober-labour-leader

OK I accept that she might be more thoughtful in different circumstances - but I can't help but worry . . .
Yes, there are so few crossing points over the railway that it has always been a very natural dividing line.
All the councillors in the West are Lib Dem, the Greens tried in Stroud Green but apart from B-Right-On, Greens did not do well anywhere.
David (Hugh et al),

Thanks for map and explanation; in fine Luddite fashion - and working hard - I've not yet had chance to check all local results. I believe I'm in Harringey who returned one Lib Dem. Is this new, or a change from before?

Allegiances?! Tricksters?! Oy gevult. Yes, it should be clear who is mean. And how is a poster meant to know someone's class? THIS sounds like bias and prejudice to me! This antatgonist language and assumptions have been raised by those with political affiliations accusing OTHERS of bias?! Hmmmm.

Brought into this conversation by those in party which has had my lifetime support! The more I hear this kind of thing, the more alienated I feel from Labour which surely isn't what's wanted!

Surely, it's common courtesy to state if one is active politician; my first post here I stated how I'd voted, giving exactly this info, even though I am not a politician, nor an active party member. Surely exactly the person Labour doesn't want to alienate! Or maybe I'm in the unacceptable face of Tottenham! Who knows!
David,

Have listened to speech. It is quite incredible she didn't make one comment nor addressed about deep concerns locally. For me these started way before child abuse stuff. Let's hope you're right about the excitement of moment but this era and national outcome and what this says calls for more humility and thoughtfulness rather than Oscar-like thanks and praise for candidates. Surely what one does is praise them DESPITE all these things, presenting challenges we need to address in future, as seems the message nation-wide, etc, etc.
As I've said elsewhere on this site, my personal experience of Claire Kober and what I've heard reported of senior officers who work closely to her is positive. So whilst I too questioned the slight note of party triumphalism in the public setting, I'm prepared to give her this one after a long night and a campaign which the party believed would see a change of power locally.
Totally agree. The lib-dems need to think hard about the division as well.
But how? The Lib Dems, the Labour Party and the Tories, all stood three candidates in every ward in the borough. In Tottenham, the Lib Dems hardly got any votes, apart from in Harringay. It wasn't as if voters didn't have a full range of choices wherever they lived. What do you suggest?
@Isidoros

After a bit of thinking on this. I think you mean me.

Do you?
I agree entirely with davidj's sentiments and I thank Hugh for his comments.

Just a few points for the record:

1. I believe that the internet is a great tool and a great hope for developing proper debate and more effective community politics. I have looked at numerous "community" sites and blogs and I can say categorically that in my opinion HoL is the best that I've come across yet. That is honest and I have been saying it to many people for a long time, encouraging them to get involved with it.

2. My faith in this medium is applying to both party political sites and genuine community sites; if anything my earlier comments reflected a desire for HoL to remain firmly in the later camp and not be highjacked into the former. We've got plenty of those and we need both for a healthy democracy.

3. I do not advocate simplistic class politics, nor I believe that people should be voting according to their class. What I objected to was this whif of class arrogance that every now and again escapes from some of the comments.

4. I do not have any problem with anyone arguing their political point, robustly if necessary; what annoys me is the tendency of some people to pretend that they are not party politicaly motivated, on the assumption that by hiding their real allegiances and pretending to be "objective" or "open to other arguments" and so on, they would be more able to influence others. Somehow this tactic reminds me of confidence trycksters.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service