Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Your annual chance to visit buildings and bits of London that are usually closed or by appointment only. Some require booking but many are drop-in or timed entry. There are also guided walks and special events.

Haringey's listings can be found here and the general listings are here. Haringey highlights include tours to the basements and Victorian theatre of Ally Pally, a chance to see some private housing including the Priory Yurt and a chance to see inside the medieval church of All Hallows, Tottenham

Copies of the free listings book can also be picked up from Haringey's libraries. This year it includes articles from some well-know architecture writers.

Tags for Forum Posts: open house

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm Glade you posted this Liz.
Shame there aren't any Ladder houses, we all love to see what's different about them all, quite an undertaking,
I enjoyed the Bourgoyne Open House a few years back.
I missed the Isokon Building, (short for isometric construction,) Bauhaus architect, Marcel Breuer and Agetha Christy lived there at one time, there was a central kitchen and meals were provided, though I'm sure they had their own cocktail bar.

The building is inspired by cruise liners at the time, sleek clean flowing lines, you could describe it as Bauhaus, or reductionist, it would not look out of place in Tel Aviv or Dessau or wherever the New International Style took root.

Isokon is more about curves and less De Stijl, or geometric in style, if you compare it with the surrounding Edwardian architecture it's quite remarkable.

The building is not to far, it's on route from Gospel oak Station, on route to the Royal Free Hospital. Next time eh?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service