Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For those of you who are active on HoL, you'll be very much aware of Haringey Council's transport study. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for all Harringay's residents to have their say on how best to reduce our excessive traffic burden. To that end, we want to ensure that all residents are FULLY informed on the options available.

Unlike Haringey Council, we do not have a juggernaut PR system pushing our message, or the money to pay for it. So we are asking for your help. We want to raise money to fund a print run of leaflets for Wightman and all the Ladder roads, plus other events to raise awareness.

If you'd like to help us raise funds for the second phase of our campaign; to create a safer, healthier, happier Harringay for everyone, then please click the link below which will take you to our Just Giving page.

Thank you.

Yes, I would like to help raise £700 to fund leaflets If you'd like more information, or get involved, please check out our Living Wightman Blog or Facebook Page.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 5322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Ricardo is a defined standard..."

I had to google Ricardo but it appears to be a consultancy firm which is accredited for example to certify that a railway company meets particular safety standards or say a motorbike component meets a certain manufacturing standard.

Again I'm not sure how this is relevant?

@EyeSpy This never has and never will about house prices and it is wrong to suggest it is. We have lived on Wightman Road for 21 years. Over that time we have seen it become increasing busy, speeds getting faster (despite being 20mph) and increasingly used by HGVs for which it is wholly unsuitable. Many surrounding areas have lobbied and been succesful in protecting themselves from the ever increasing traffic burden and this has pushed more and more traffic on to Wightman Road and the ladder roads.

The only way to make a transformational change to the area is to support filtering. It does not mean closing the road it means that you just can't drive it end to end and with the mitigating measures to ensure traffic flow this is the radical soliution needed.

I'm fed up with us being called selfish when we just want an end to the excessive traffic using our residential roads in order to avoid A roads.

Im not going to apologise for campaigning for something that will benefit not just Harringay but all areas in terms of traffic reduction and clean up our filthy air. But, it needs to be done properly and Haringey Council and TfL would need to manage it v carefully and there needs to be the political will to make this controversial move.

Of course filtering Wightman would make life inconvenient and that includes for me but its a price worth paying. You have read all the benefits it would bring. I cant understand how anyone would choose to keep Wightman as it is because the alternative makes their life a little more inconvenient. Indeed, it is selfish to deny our children and grandchildren the chance to live in a healthy and safe enviironment.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I totally understand why you are campaigning and it is your right. I also totally understand that the closure last summer was lovely for some, but for me and my children (and many others I've spoken to) it was miserable - a long way beyond inconvenient.

The council told me they did attempt some mitigating measures, obviously not enough, but they did attempt some which makes me wonder what else would actually work.

Also, a small point, but I don't think it was Eyespy who first brought up the subject of house price increases.

Also, a small point, but I don't think it was Eyespy who first brought up the subject of house price increases.

That was me, although it has obviously always been an elephant in the room.  

I live on the ladder and have moved into the front bedroom in the house this past week because of works in my normal room. (I didn't take the front bedroom originally because it's on the road.)  I have to say it's astounding how many times during the night I am pummeled out of bed by the noise and vibrations.

Really? People are happy to have this pass trough traffic foisted by those who don't give a damn about how their blithe actions affect your lives day in/ day out--happy to let this carry on so they themselves can drive to Sainsburys at the Arena once a week? 

You're on Warham right Knavel? This is the worst affected rung:

That is certainly excessive traffic and many streets have had measures to protect them from rat-running with much less. The real scandal is Wightman Road though, which hits 800 vehicles per hour first thing in the morning and well over 1000 vehicles per hour from early afternoon until the evening (click the image to view full size):

Not sure about "elephants in the room" but Wightman Road is certainly one of Haringey's "skeletons in the closet" - it carries 16-17,000 vehicles per day yet is strangely absent from Haringey's major road network (from p7 of Haringey's Transport Strategy):

Have you ever known the Council to take any notice of the residents' wishes, where they conflict with what the Council intends to do anyway ?

Where are our councillors ?  Why are they not contributing to this discussion ?

Nope.

They can't be arsed since it's all safe for them. 

Only 10 days to go. Has anyone received one of these leaflets ?

The Living Wightman leaflet? Yes I had one - although I almost threw it away because it just looked like junk mail.

Nothing seen here at top of Wightman.

I received the leaflet a week ago this past Sunday.

They have their £700 now.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service