Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just received notificationof this public meeting:

Haringey Labour plans to privatise £2bn worth of council homes and public land across Haringey, by putting it into a company jointly owned with a developer. The Lib Dems are very concerned by these proposals. We have organised a public meeting to inform local people and give them an opportunity to ask questions.

The meeting will be held on Monday 6th February, 7.30pm at St Marys Infants School, Church Lane, N8 7BU.

We have invited Lib Dem councillors, Paul Burnham from Defend Haringey Housing and Haringey Labour Cabinet Member for Housing, Cllr Alan Strickland, to speak at the meeting.

Views: 454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They own these properties because they did a public / private build in 1974, leaving them with the freehold. Which they are planning on doing again.

This isn't privatisation, it's innovative in that unlike other councils, they are not planning on selling off the land.

Who told you this amounts to 'privatisation' ?
Which properties are you thinking about? The proposals have identified a wide range of buildings and land including most of Northumberland Park and Broadwater Farm for starters. If you're thinking it's just the properties and land in and around Wood Green, they form a fairly small part of the overall portfolio.
She's talking about the ' land put Into a company, jointly owned with the developer'. Am I wrong in saying those will essentially retain the freehold for the council ?
It was the bit about a something that happened in 1974 I was commenting on.
Not my words. Taken from an email sent by the local libdems. What ever way you view it, its a risky strategy and without any real concrete assurances to protect current council tenants. Want people to have the opportunity to attend a public meeting to discuss one of the biggest things to potentially happen in Haringey in many years.
Am going to be cheeky here Karen - it's the Haringey Development Vehicle not delivery. We are not taking Ocado vans in to state ownership :))

Meant purely in jest :)

Yes, I know - for some reason I couldn't back into it to edit it.  So, as you are on here Cllr, what is your take on it?

My take on it is very public as I chaired and authorised the report of the Housing and Regeneration Scrutiny Panel. The panel will now be producing a further report and carrying out more evidence gathering sessions over the next two months. It's far too important an issue to not carry out further in depth work.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service