Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Did anyone else see the route masters on Green Lanes today? I was cycling home and was very excited to see one in front of me. I was disappointed not to get a photo but luckily my daughter not only got some photos but actually rode on one.

Views: 2376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can remember when these were new.

Tube strike innit. I've ridden one to work twice now. I've been off this week though so missed the chance today!

Love it. Crisis mtg at TfL HQ re tube strike actions back up plan and rolls out the old dependable buses. I wonder if that's the default position for all crisis situations at govt Cobra mtgs ... Putin sends over more than 2 bombers, Britain launches Spitfires to back up our fighter jets ... or, mobile networks goes down due to cyber attack, BT rolls out telephone kiosks of yesteryear 

I saw one opposite Sainsbury's , a proper one with no driver door. It was beautiful, vintage I would say. No photo sorry.
What a beauty!
It almost had me in tears seeing a red routemaster 29 bus as my grandad was a bus conductor on the 29 for 23 years in Haringay . Always makes me feel emosh seeing one

Hi Tina, your granddad would have driven me to work every day.

I saw two, they were route masters running as Ensign bus route 121 Turnpike Lane to Oakwood. Interesting that they had concertina doors at the front, no platform at the back. I remember the Green Line route as 715 Hertford to Guildford.

Sounds interesting, they sound like former BEA or Northern General Routemasters. These were the only ones not built for service in London, the short wheelbase BEA coaches were operated for BEA by London Transport between the London Air Terminal in Cromwell Road and Heathrow and had luggage trailers. Northern General took 50 long wheelbase Routemasters with the same forward entrance behind the front axle for service around Newcastle and Gateshead, I think they had Leyland engines.

Northern General **Routemaster** 2095 seen in the Southdown Depot in Brighton dressed for the return trip to London (via A23). I was the driver on this occasion and recall that 2095 was pretty well underpowered, finding it quite a slog to get over the Downs into Brighton. A 'regular' RML from Stockwell Garage (SW) can be seen behind, laying over after working a Private Hire to Brighton.  'Shop at Binns' was the standard advert on all of Northern General's buses and also on trams in Newcastle too.

and lastly a RMA (Routemaster Airline Route) seen at RM60  in Finsbury Park 2014.

Yes Xavier, until the early 1970s there were three - 3!!! Green Line Routes through Manor House, providing longer distance fare stage bus services to the areas surrounding the Capital.

Route 715 Guildford > Oxford Circus > Camden Town > MANOR HOUSE > Harringay > Enfield > Hertford

Route 715A Guildford > Oxford Circus > Camden Town > MANOR HOUSE > Tottenham > Edmonton > Waltham Cross >Hertford

Route 718 Windsor > Hammersmith > Marble Arch > Camden Town > MANOR HOUSE  > Tottenham > Walthamstow > Woodford > Epping > Harlow

All these routes were single deck operated until the early 1960s, when they were converted to RMC (Routemaster Coach) operation, which lasted until the early 1970s.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service