Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

describes a recurring problem on our street and also HC's response in dealing with it.

The weekend before last someone from one of the houses on our street - or possibly (probably) the landlord or someone employed by them - emptied a load of old furniture onto the pavement outside their house. This consisted of a mattress, part of a bed base, a broken chest of drawers and bin bags.

I reported this to HC via "My Account" on the Tuesday (20th June).

Nothing had happened by the Thursday so I contacted the council by phone and was advised it would be dealt with that day.

The next day I came home from work and found that all the rubbish was still there; by now some of it had tumbled down further with the result that at least half the pavement was blocked. So I picked up every item and threw them all back into the front garden.

I then checked the My Account service and to my amazement found that the problem had been "solved" on 20 June (the day I reported it). Of course, this was untrue.

This weekend a mattress was put outside another house in our street. By the next day it had fallen over so that the entire pavement was taken up. I thought of contacting the council but thought "what's the point?" and so picked it up instead and heaved it back into the front garden.

The rubbish I referred to at the beginning is still where I left it in the front garden of the property even though it is blocking two or three of the bins in the garden. What can I do about this? It makes the street look disgusting as does the mattress in the front garden of the other property. If I report it they may get it taken away but why is HC not proactive about these matters? Why are they not following up the dumping of rubbish that in the end I had to sort myself? And why do the majority of local residents not give a **** apart from me??

Query / rant over!

Views: 1605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't say it is, although it is part of Haringey. Harringay I'd say is roughly the East Coast to the west, Turnpike Lane to the north, the Gardens to the east and the New River to the south. Of course it doesn't really matter whether the problem is Harringay or Haringey, it still needs to be sorted.

Don't really mind how it's done or where it sits. I suggested here because that's where the discussion is and I know the LB Haringey comms people watch it
Anyhoo, we have a Justin for Pemberton, me for Warham - any more?
What about aiming for Sunday 9 July for taking the pics. I can open a new thread called something like "One day's rubbish in Harringay'. If it works I can see a Tuner Prize nomination
That's a fantastic idea. I can cover Mattison, Duckett and more if needed. I'll set up a FB group tonight and another thread to coordinate action

good idea, but not sure why your so insistant on facebook. everyone else is either neutral or suggesting this website. so am i as dont have a facebook account and cant take part if its on facebook. whats the benefits of using facebook

As many routes as possible I suppose. I too don't have a FB account (well I did but I think I looked at it twice in 15 years) but I suppose it's possible to link one in to whatever thread ends up on here.
So we now have
Pemberton
Warham
Mattison
Duckett
Can I also suggest that people do the bits of Wightman at the top of their street and Green Lanes at the bottom. Otherwise it's a big ask for one person to do the whole thing.

I can probably do a bit of Wightman ( if I remember )

Call the thread " Harringrubbish " ?

Great name! I can't think of anything to better this. I'll work on the FB account and rules of engagement tonight and over the weekend and will post in a new thread

I outlined the rationale earlier in the thread - I think we need to create a corresponding thread here also. My thinking is thatthose who don't have a FB account can just share images here and we'll transfer them to the FB page.
Hidden under "feedback" is the Complaints form. Fill it in and send it. Until you do this council officials will do nothing to tackle Veolia's lax and shoddy service. The council must reply and tell you what has been done. http://www.haringey.gov.uk/contact/council-feedback
I don't waste time chasing Veolia much anymore. If something isn't removed within 48 hours, I raise a complaint.

I have used the 'Report someone for dumping rubbish' page on the Haringey council website when I saw somebody dumping some waste on the pavement. I saw the person then go into their house, so I knew who it was. I included a pic that I'd taken on my phone and full details. 2 days later I got a phone call from council who were about to go round to the culprits house, so I think this one does work:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/environment-and-waste/rubbish-and-recycl...

Katie

Casper

I suggest you take photos of the offending vehicles then report them to the council and insist they investigate. If you can, you might want to get a cheap video camera and set it up. On a wider note, this happens in our street and adjacent streets too... I am not far away from you and think a residents' association is long overdue. What do you think? (It would also be good to have a name for our little part of Harringay as we're the only part that doesn't have one!...)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service