Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hundreds of pubs doomed to closure could be rescued under Government proposals to help to fund “community buyouts”, promote local beers and cut planning red tape.

Ministers will announce today that they will match money raised by residents to buy the freeholds of ailing pubs and provide business support to help to set up post offices, shops and restaurants in the same premises. The move follows growing concern that almost 40 pubs are closing every week.

Read the full story at The Times.......

Tags for Forum Posts: queen's head

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AndrewT.
''Should we also be concerned about the number of pubs?''.
More people die from being stabbed with knives than are killed by any other weapon. lets ban the kitchens where knives are kept.
Thousands of people drown every year, lets close swimming pools. (this is a polite answer meant to be ironic)
Play nice James. Andrew has a fair point. Why are we concerned about betting shops but not pubs?
There's double the betting establishments than pubs in this small stretch, although I see your point. I am unaware that any of the pubs minus the Queens Head ever having the amount of crime linked to them, maybe you could prove me wrong?

The Queens Head has been a PH for many a moon, so it's not that we're increasing the number of pubs, in fact it was that bloody Ladbrookes that took one pub a way from us.

I think if we had five proposed new pubs in such a small strech the community would be up in arms too, everything in moderation eh?
The licence for the Queens Head is now in the hands of a company called DockLock Ltd whose Director and Secretary both declare that they live in Cyprus. The Companies House register states that their core business is: 'Development and Sell Real Estate'.

One can only wonder if this historic 'pub' will ever serve ale again.
Just the licence? I guess we can assume they also bought the freehold.
This site, companiesgate.co.uk have the company registered C/O at;

DOCKLOCK LIMITED
C/O Freemans
Solar House 282 Chase Road
LONDON
N14 6NZ

Seems to be a Christopher & Betty CHRISTOFOROU that head up this 'small Private Limited' company. Can buy info on DockLock Ltd here.

Streetview:
View Larger Map Freemans are accountants & business advisors; contact details.

I guess the Queens Head building isn't even Grade II listed. Is there a Planning App yet?
Haringey Licensing Dept said that they have no reason to believe that the the pub won't open again - apparently it is common to close pubs with bad reputations for a period of time, so that the old clientele find someone else to go.

We await further developments.
I met someone a while ago who was telling me a little history of the area. Apparently, when the ladder roads were being developed much of the land sold to the respective developers was sold out of the Queens Head- it seems to have served as something of a headquaters for the development of Harringay. It was the first/ only building on the whole ladder area at the time- I guess one of the many 'coak houses' into the big smoke!
The Queens Head (an earlier building) dates back to coaching days, before the railways - when coaches from London out to Enfield & Hertford would stop and water/change the horses and pick up intending passengers. These ran to timetables..
This practice lead to the later use of hotel forecourts by motor buses as terminal points and the Queens Head was no exception. A hundred years ago it was the terminus for the short lived motor bus route 13. Probably a speculative service to serve the needs of the newly developed area. It wasn't successful, but the 21 and the 29 which arrived a little later on the scene did succeed and are still around today.

Some of London's most memoral bus destinations were Pub & Hostelery names..

In the local area, Alexandra Park (Victoria) 144,217, 231 and many others that have suddenly all slipped my mind.
the queens head used to be a great pub when it was a biker/goth/punk/alternative hangout and music venue...with very little trouble too...as soon as it was refurbished and relaunched as yet another bland sports bar it became a battlefield with an undercurrent of violence, and all the people i know who were regulars were driven away!
The Queens Head is a 'building of merit'. (scroll down to 'Green Lanes' section)
Do you know what the implications of that are?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service