Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just to let everyone know that the council are proposing new tree planting along the Ladder roads.  This is scheduled to start on Monday 24th March. There should be in the region of 76 new trees across the Ladder.

This is great news as some of our trees where lost to disease last year - it is great to have confirmation that more trees are now being planted.

(OK, the photo is of one of my trees but its the best photo of a tree I have!)

Tags for Forum Posts: trees

Views: 1746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I;m really hoping Warham Road is included as over the last 12 years the street has lost nearly all of its trees from the lower (Green Lanes) end, plus a few missing from the upper section. As its a busy through road it needs the civilising influence of trees more than most.

These are the trees planned for Warham Road

Alnus incana Aurea BT 94/96 Warham Road N4 Harringay
Sorbus intermedia 'Brouwers' BT 36/38 Warham Road N4 Harringay
Alnus incana Aurea BT 27/29 Warham Road N4 Harringay
Where do you go to ask for new tree's on other roads ?
I have the schedule. I can email it to you. My email is Karen.alexander.haringeylibdems@gmail.com. I did try to post it here yesterday but it is an excel document and my expertise doesn't stretch to copying it in its entirety and it looking good!

Unbidden, I have just been sent the attached listing of which tree where in Harringay Ward by Haringey's Arboricultural and Allotments Manager. I've asked for the St Ann's & Seven Sisters ones too. 

Attachments:

Thanks Hugh - what would I do without you.

And here's my reply re above:

The priority wards for 2013/2014 were Bounds Green, Harringay, Hornsey and Seven Sisters. The frequent storms and very wet weather has caused numerous delays to this winters tree planting programme. The Harringay ward is the last part of the programme to be done. We have had to postpone planting in seven sisters ward until the start of the next planting season in Nov 2014.

The St Ann’s ward was prioritised winter 2011/12, however, approx 25 new trees are being planted in the Gardens area as part of a new road safety scheme

Thanks Karen. While I am exited about getting more trees for Warham Road this doesn't come near to replacing the ones that have been chopped down recently. A quick stock take of trees in the lower (Green Lane ) half of Hewitt, Seymour and Warham Roads shows that within roughly the same section Hewitt has 18, Seymour has 11 and Warham Road has 6 trees. I can count 9 spaces where once there were trees in this lower section which is now to receive a single replacement. Warham Road is seen as a rat run by all of the drivers speeding across at the lights and I think replacing Warhams lost trees may affect the way it is seen. Also Warham Road/ Green Lanes is also the only junction which will not receive a makeover in the Green Lanes improvements. How can we get more trees please?

Maggie, you say that they were removed 'recently'. Was that in the last two years? The Arboricultural and Allotments Manager at the council informed me that they will wait at least two years before trees are replaced to allow all root matter in the tree pits to decompose. Also, due to cuts, the council are mainly replacing trees in areas that have existing tree pits which meet the above criteria.

They've put tarmac over the tree pits at the bottom end of  Warham. The trees are gone and they're not coming back.

We had our tree holes on Avondale filled mistakenly with extra cpz posts... They were doing both at the same time. We were furious. Does anyone know if we can get trees out there instead and the extra posts removed ?....

I agree that number doesn't cover what has been lost but David, Asha and I will continue to push for more trees to be planted across the whole ward - its work in progress.  

As a local community we can also make contact with a group called TCV The Conservation Volunteers. Their website is here

The Big Tree Plant 2013/14

Big Tree Plant logoThrough the Big Tree Plant, run by Defra and The Forestry Commission, The Conservation Volunteers are joining with Community Groups to establish community-led tree planting projects in areas that would benefit most - for example those with little greenery or  tree cover. Between Oct 2012 and March 2015, we are aiming to plant 150,000 trees across England. If your group has an idea for planting trees on an area of land used by your local community we should be able to help.

The trees must be planted in streets or in green places that are open to all to visit, or where local people will benefit from them. Whoever owns the land must give permission and support to the project, and there must be a plan to care for the trees after they are planted. The scheme does not fund the planting of hedgerows, but can include the planting of individual trees in hedges that will grow on to maturity.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service