Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How about this for damned cheek. The latest councillors' briefing explains that the Ladder roads were closed last night (Thursday) at the request of the police. It goes on to say that they've been reopened this evening (Friday) after consultation with the residents.

Has anyone been consulted?

See full briefing attached,

Tags for Forum Posts: grit, gritting, ice, snow

Views: 433

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

... and the burglar getting away on skis.
Quite right indeed! If someone were to have a fire, or require an ambulance visit as a housebound elderly lady opposite us does with reasonable frequency, simply put, they'd be stuffed.

Keeping folk housebound or at risk from inability to deliver critical emergency services that could be potentially life saving isn't good at all.
Grief, you know how to make a chap feel guilty all over peeps. I just enjoyed the peace and quiet.
The gardens don't get any through traffic at all. Who says we have to put up with this? The £&%#*s who don't live here but drive through here, that's who.

Apart from having philistines and peasants who don't think much for neighbours, the increased level of traffic I have seen in the last ten years is my main daily annoyance. I am happy for you to lobby for more traffic past your house, but not past mine. Good luck.
John,

Clearly I am not lobbying for more traffic. I am lobbying for equal levels of service over the borough, and for our roads to be kept in a safe condition for pedestrians and motorists alike.

I cannot see a link between keeping a road safe to use by salting it in cold weather, and increasing levels of traffic beyond normal. Wightman has been quieter than normal over this cold snap when I've been out on it, yet has been regularly gritted for safety.

Closing a road to "through" traffic is another debate to have, and not one that I would be on the side of for various reasons. Yes I am a local, yes I live on a ladder road, and yes, I am happy that it's quieter than Wightman for example, but why should bigger roads get all the traffic? I think residents on Wightman or GL would be happy to use stronger language than yours against us ladder rung folk, and rightly so in my mind, if we were to lobby for our roads to be made into residential access only! Why should we get such privilige at the expense of others after all?

I'm thinking that it's time to buy a second house in the country. London is full of cars that keep driving down the road. The countryside is emptier and free from that pesky traffic stuff that populates the streets of our city.
You seemed to jump on Hugh when he expressed joy at the fact that his road was made inaccessible because it was a P2 road. I assumed from that that you were pro-traffic. I'm obviously wrong.

Wightman is less busy because people can't use the ladder rung roads to get to it.

I certainly do not advocate the closing of ladder roads to through traffic, look at the effect the closing of the gardens has had on us.

When they created Haringey the idea was that they would merge a wealthy part of London with a poorer part of London to benefit the poorer part. This idea has been a spectacular failure and the sooner we are split in half the better. Resources intended for the east of the borough seem to regularly end up "fairly" in the west of the borough. Should we really get £1000 pounds extra per student for all our schools, including Fortismere?

In fairness to Muswell Hill and Highgate, they are up in a less densely populated hill which sees a bit more snow/ice than down here in the marshes. I imagine that's why they have more salt/grit than us.
I'm afraid this is a told-you-so moment. I've just been out with the folks clearing the ice from the Passage and came across Brian fixing his car by the Passage in Allison Road. He told me that his car's been hit twice since the road was reopened on Friday. He said that five other cars were hit yesterday in Allison Road alone.

And coming home, I met my neighbours clearing some snow from the road outside their houses.

They mentioned that some cars had been pranged on Hewitt too. Just a few doors down this car was hit last night.

Apparently the police closed the road again.

So, now, who was at at Haringey who decided to re-open the roads?
Following the video interview, above, please let us know if you're aware of any other damage to cars on Friday and Saturday.
Surely Haringey Council should be liable for the damages to the cars, if they cannot grit or close the roads effectively?

As for the drivers, they should have their licenses (if they have one) taken away just for attempting to drive up and down such roads.

We all hear about people threatening to sue the council for a trip, what about this?
Certainly begs the question. I have dropped a nte to our councillors cc the leader to see if we can find out more about how the decision was taken and if, in fact, there was a multitude of emails requesting re-opening.
I'm not sure why rung road resident parkers don't ensure the safety of their chariots by parking four-fifths on, one-fifth off their own pavements. I suspect quite a few of the upper-rung parkers are already doing just that on Wightman Road pavements for ease of takeoff and landing - unless, of course, a lot of my normally pedestrian neighbours have suddenly become proud car owners with the onset of winter.
And you think Eddie that a car sliding on an icy road would obligingly stop at the point where a car would have been were it parked fully on road? ;o) Or are you just pointing out the odd fact that Wightman is about the only residential road I know where residents are required to park on the pavement?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service