Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Can anyone tell me exactly where it is? I know is on the High Rd, but not clear where.
Thanks.

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About opposite the Civic Centre (Parking Office ) :-) I think
Yes that's right.
Council info on war memorials here
Entry on uk inventory here
Aha, le voici:

(View on Google Maps)

As one or two of you know, war memorials are a bit of an obsession, interest of mine.

A couple of years back I had to do an architectural analysis of Wood Green memorial and I took a few snaps for the project. It merits close inspection.

Click to view larger. There are a few more in my war memorials set

Wood Green War Memorial

Erected by public subscription 1920
Erected by public subscription 1920

Not much seems to be known about the WG war memorial i.e. craftsmen, unveiling etc at least by the inventory which is a 'crowd sourced' resource.
The main one is in Wood Green N22 opposite the Civic Centre and is the site of the main Remembrance Day events (the Mayor etc attend). It is in good condition http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.11986/fromUkniwmSe...
The London assembly report into memorials in each borough (to which i contributed)
http://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/Data/Planning%20and%20Housing%20...
Haringey apparently has the fewest memorials of all the boroughs that took part?
Lesley, has the Civic Centre moved a hundred yards or so southwards since I last looked? Probably preparing for the Hackney takeover.
Thank you everyone, as informative as ever!

The obelisk-shaped monument in Bounds Green Road, was erected in 1879 to commemorate the life and work of Mrs Catherine Smithies (1794- 1877) the founder of the Band of Mercy Movement and a tireless campaigner for Temperance. As the earlier photo shows, the obelisk has been moved, and was re-erected on its present site in 1904 so that Bounds Green Road could be widened for electric trams.

Both the Wood Green War Memorial and the Obelisk/ Drinking Fountain dedicated to Catherine Smithies are included in an interesting little report on Haringey's Historic Street Furniture (PDF download).

The band of Mercy movement was a precursor to the RSPCA and was formed whilst Ms Smithies lived at Woodside House (incidentally close by the War Memorial). As a staunch Temperance campaigner I wonder how she would feel about her memorial being moved to outside the Prince Pub?

See ... up at the Bounds Green / Bowes Park end of the borough we too have lots of interesting local stuff! :)

And here is a link to a photograph of the Wood Green War memorial that I took last Sunday - Remembrance Day http://www.bowesandbounds.org/photo/wood-green-war-memorial
Whatever happened to the 'arch' at the bottom of Alexandra Park Way before the station?
Those beautiful cast iron arches (we had one at the Priory Road Hornsey end as well) must have cost thousands and really identified the park area. They were up for only a few years then disappeared overnight a couple of years ago. Why? what was wrong with them? And what happened to them? Melted down to line someone's pocket i wonder?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service