Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was thinking about the map we bought a year or so ago in relation to the development of Harringay by the British Land Company in the mid 1890s and I thought I would see what else is listed on eBay related to Harringay. Actually, I was thinking there must be similar maps for the mid and north sections of the Ladder as they were developed out and I thought it might be nice to see them...

Anyway, I saw a 1911 postcard to Mrs (Alice) Bellak at 44 Rutland Gardens. I thought who ever lives there now might be interested in a bit of their history!

Tags for Forum Posts: rutland gardens

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to the census records Richard and Alice Bellak and their daughter Alice Alma lived there in 1911.

Mr Bellak was born in Vienna and was a coal exporter's clerk,  Mrs Bellak was born in Hanslope , Bucks and Alice Alma was born in Horsham. They also had two visitors the day the census was taken; Mr and Mrs Fawson who were Mrs Bellak's brother and his wife.

Their accommodation comprised 4 rooms (which included kitchen but not bathroom) and the fact they could afford a 'camerer' suggests to me they were doing ok!

It would be great to find the current occupants Justin!

Austrian, blimey. I thought the name looked different. Bet he/they had a great time come August 1914! I imagine he was interned.

What is a 'camerer'?

Lets see if anyone knows who lives there now...

Camera?
Looks like it was written by a child - the very careful joined up writing - so the misspelling of camera. Do you think Beatrice's family "borrowed" a few printed postcards from Round Oak in Englefield Green when they were there?
Just Googled Round Oak and it looks like a stud farm
http://www.roundoakuk.com/forms.aspx

Beatrice was Mrs Bellak's sister and was 14 at the time. And was living almost round the corner at 93 Mattison Road according to the census (which is normally done in April) so maybe she was living/working in Hackney when the postcard was written

It's actually a typical surname from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It's a germanised version of something more eastern I think. I wouldn't mind betting there was an 'i' or something after that 'k' once.

And I thought everyone brought up in North East London knew exactly what a camerer was.. ;-)

Sorry, I missed the fact that is what it said on the card- being dyslexic I actually read camera!!!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service