Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A huge thanks to my neighbour Claudine who I've only met briefly once or twice before as a result of HoL stuff.

I know from a previous discussion on here (which I can't find) that Claudine was a plumber - the first registered lady plumber in the country in fact. So I dropped her a note this afternoon in desperation since I was without hot water and couldn't find a plumber who could come out and help.  I thought she might know a man who can. I had a reply from Claudine within a few minutes giving me her phone number.

A couple of calls and a visit later, I was back in business, all the hot water I could want and no a hefty plumber,s bill.

Claudine - a BIG THANK YOU. You've made me a happy man and warmed the cockles of my heart.

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"A man who can", Hugh?
No idea where this originated but I picked it up as shorthand for a person with the appropriate skills to get a thing done.
But in this case we're talking about a woman, right?
Yup, Claudine's a woman allright, but I thought she might be able to recommend someone (Gender was the least of my worries). I wasn't planning to impose upon my neighbour.
What is 'big up' ?
Bit like a big down except it's going the other way.

(Or in the words of Wiktionary "To proclaim the importance of")
Can we not use 'big up' please. Bit like a tory MP saying things like 'wow'. Or football commentators from yorkshire saying 'magnificent !' it just don't fit.
Groan - another Language Luddite. I think big-up is pretty much mainstream now James. It's not like saying "Yo bro, wassup" or whatever.

The first experience of language luddisim that I can remember was when I was about 13. My (excellent but repellent) French teacher took an uncharacteristic 3 or 4 minutes out of teaching to bemoan the theft of the word gay by the awful inverts. My estimation of such tirades against the unstoppable development of language has not risen since.
Wow. Awesome, Hugh. Unstoppable awesomeness. btw lol.
& Tx 4 the subtitles. My ears are alight.
This is exactly what i mean. Far from being a 'language luddite', i'm simply saving you from yourself. Much like if you had a mark or whatever on your face, I'm pointing it out, you should be thanking me.
Glad you never had to welcome Gorbachev, James - could have led to an international incident with the Cold War back in deep freeze.

As for magnificence or magniloquence in football commentary my favourite's still Brian Glanville's 'Goals should be scored, not adumbrated' (circa 1962).
Off thread again but language pet hate (this week) is

"That meal was AWESOME!" It wasn't; the pyramids at Giza or the Milky Way on a cold, cloudless night are awesome - food is nice.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service