Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

London's V2 rocket sites are being mapped by Londonist here

They have sites near the West Reservoir and on Crouch Hill, but weren't there some strikes round here?

They are still looking for people to help them add info to the map. Let them know via comments if you have any info

Tags for Forum Posts: V2, bombsight, world war II harringay

Views: 3285

Replies to This Discussion

I found this on Wikipedia see here:
"Whilst Harringay was luckier than some areas of London during World War II, it did not survive unscathed. A number of V1 and V2 bombs fell in Harringay, including one on Warwick Gardens which destroyed and damaged a number of houses and completely destroyed the 'Ever Ready' factory which had stood on the corner of St Ann's Road and Warwick Gardens. Some of the Ladder roads were also affected by attempts to bomb the railway around Hornsey station. RAF aerial reconnaissance shows a path of bomb damage across the roads near the station heading towards the railway.[20] This included the area at the western end of Fairfax and Falkland Roads where the damaged houses were never rebuilt. The area is now a small park."
Thanks for the tip Liz.. My Great-grandparents were involved in an incident in Tottenham in January 1945. I'll leave the info on that site as I've noticed it's not yet mentioned. A photo of mine of the site (in the 1960s)
Steve, are you going to tell them about the Warwick Gardens one as well that Chris mentions?
As far as I know Warwick Gardens was a V1 and not a V2... If I knew some dates, I could clarify it...
Okay, so the bomb damage round here was caused by V1s right? Perhaps we'll get some imput from others on this.
We've spoken about this before in other discussions.. Warwick Gardens was hit by 'regular' bombs, along with Ritches and Woodland Park Roads.. and as far as I know one V1.

A V1 caused the gap on Fairfax- Effingham - Falkland Roads.. And a V1 landed on the petrol station outside Harringay Arena..

A V2 Caused the gap on Sydney Road and a V2 also fell on the Hornsey High Street end of Tottenham Lane... I have a shot of that somewhere-...

I only know about them from heresay.. I'm not that old.. :o)
One night when I was living in Harvey House in Hornsey. the local junkie set his fireplace carpet alight and we took in the old woman from down the landing whose flat was over his and filling up with smoke. The emergency must have got her memory onto war time Hornsey and she mentioned a V bomb (V1 o r V2 I don't know) that landed in either Park Rd or Priory Rd. Interesting woman.
Not Haringey strictly but just over the border at the bottom of Moundfield Rd (around number 104) N16 there's a V2 site. I used to live on it!
Mmm. That's my fault. It is accurate, but not detailed. I'm sure Stephen's right about the Warwick Gdns bomb.
Hope this helps:

Liz, if you visit the London Metropolitan Archives, you can consult the RAF maps showing bombs dropped in both WWI & WWII.
Well I'm not sure I'm going to go that far to help the Londonist out :)
Just wondered whether we had the info (and evidence to hand) to put in their comments box and help fill in the gaps.

I'm more into the stuff further back (pre 1918) then the WW2 stuff really although anything that moulded the current landscape interests me greatly. Did any bombs fall on Grand Parade. That map is a bit hard to decipher.
He (the Londonist) hacked me off already... don't like the style of writing... oops!
yes I see you've 'told him off' :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service