Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

London's V2 rocket sites are being mapped by Londonist here

They have sites near the West Reservoir and on Crouch Hill, but weren't there some strikes round here?

They are still looking for people to help them add info to the map. Let them know via comments if you have any info

Tags for Forum Posts: V2, bombsight, world war II harringay

Views: 3287

Replies to This Discussion

It's only Hornsey so doesn't show Grand Parade
Shame, that would have helped with the assignment I'm supposed to be working on instead of chatting with the history heads online. I 'll have to look it up at some point.
Thanks for that Hugh... It's interesting in that it clearly shows how regular bombs generally came in strings 1-2-3-4 (-5?). Am I allowed to ask where it came from? I notice it's a HBC map and not a TBC one. I suppose Bruce Castle have records, but I can never manage to get there on my visits..
I got it from the family of a guy called Graham Inward who used to live round here.

"On 10 November 1944, a V2 landed on the corner of Ribblesdale Rd and Totteham Lane opposite the Railway Hotel (now the Wishing Well ) which was relatively undamaged.

Not Harringay of course. Apparently a little girl was playing outside and was vapourised.
Thanks John, what's the source for this pic?
I found it some time ago in a Library book about the war in North London. It will be copyright of course - oops :-)

I think you would find it in that snooty bookshop in Crouch End - Prospero's Books ?

Actually, I think the copyright will be with the Imperial War Museum
I think we should all proceed exactly like the US military does with gay people -

Don't ask - Don't tell !!
p.s. I've got this photo somewhere else... I'll have to look it out .. or perhaps it's one looking in the opposite direction?
I think you're right John that the source of the info must be the IWM.
You might be interested in this note I drafted some time ago for a possible information panel outside the flats built on the sites of bomb damage. The idea of a poster was not taken up.
Attachments:
Thanks for that John.

Any idea if the site of Iceland on Green Lanes was bomb damage?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service