We love to champion local businesses and local business people and we're keen to support them, but people who use the site don't want it swamped with posts advertising stuff. So, as things stand, we're trying to balance supporting local business with making sure that the site isn't clogged up with advertising. This means that anyone can advertise. But whether it's free or paid and how you advertise will depend on circumstances.
Here's how we're running things:
1. Commercial Promotion
As one of the busiest online sites in Haringey, Harringay Online offers businesses promotion packages comprising both display advertising and the opportunity to interact with members on the busiest areas of the site. Display advertisements feature in the right hand column on all the busy pages on the website. They are also included in our newsletter sent out to almost 10,000 people every week.
2. Tradespeople & Professional Recommendations
We have a Tradespeople & Other Services Recommendations Listings for members to recommend or comment on tradespeople and professional service providers they have used for the benefit of other members. We maintain this service by tagging posts to try and ensure members can easily find information in it.
3. Commercial Freebies
Businesses advertising free stuff on HoL is a tough one for us. Principally it's difficult for us to distinguish between which free offers we should allow and which to knock back. To date the easiest thing for us has been to stick to our policy of no free adverts for businesses.
But we've looked at this again and have decided to trial a set-up where we allow freebies to be advertised for free where:
1. There's a limited and quantifiable amount of service or goods.
2. There's a defined amount donated to a defined charity. This can be a set amount from the business or from the free attendees.
3. You agree to report back on how much you donated and to which charity.
Any local events offering genuine entertainment or educational value may be added to HoL as event listings. All listings and all events must comply with our normal terms and conditions and our events posting policy. Events advertised in the forum section will be treated as normal commercial promotions.
5. Hotels, B&Bs & Guest Houses
Local hotels, B&Bs and guest houses are featured on local places to stay section. This section is included on the website at the request of members. Whilst we are happy to consider requests for inclusion from any local establishment, inclusion on the page is made on the following terms:
a. Site Admin will determine which establishments are considered as local.
b. Links will be made to the hotel's Trip Advisor review or, if no such review is available, another well known review site. Where no review is available we will not include the establishment on our website
Currently we permit the advertising of private homes for rent as primary permenant accommodation in the local area without charge.
a. holiday lettings in any part of the world, including locally.
b. lettings beyond the local area (please ask if you're not sure).
c. homes for sale.
1. This policy applies to individuals, commercial entities and charities with paid staff. Small local voluntary organisations including residents' groups, friends groups, charitable groups, schools, etc are not covered by this policy.
2. No person or organisation to whom this policy applies may promote their services or produce on Harringay Online in any way without the permission of Site Admin. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes promoting a commercial business by:
3. The Tradespeople & Professional Recommendations Group is a service for members to recommend tradespeople from their own experience. Business owners and their agents may not add their own businesses nor add comments to recommend their businesses on other members' postings.
4. Please do not advertise your business without agreeing it with us first.
5. In the event that a business owner learns that their business has been criticised, they have a right to respond. Any such responses must stay within what is reasonable in the context.
Questions & Comments
Any questions or comments about this policy can be addressed to us at email@example.com
Last updated: 12th June 2017