Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There has been a bit of support for taking photos of rubbish left on The Ladder streets on one day in the summer - Sunday 9 July. The idea is that all the photos are posted on this discussion, one post per street with pics, and then forwarded to the Cabinet Member for Environment.

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/rubbish

It not a major undertaking, just up one side of the street and down the other, not forgetting the bits at the tops and bottoms of the road on Green Lanes and Wightman.

So far we have the following rubbish photographers

Justin Guest - Pemberton
Kotkas - Mattison and Duckett
Me - Warham, Seymour, Allison and Beresford (and Lausanne if my legs hold out)
Els - Sydney and Raleigh
Osbawn - Avondale
John D - Hampden and Frobisher
DS - Fairfax and Falkland
Hugh - Hewitt
ThaiDi -Hermitage
GraemeTP - Effingham
Gordon T - Cavendish and all points south

Michael

Tags for Forum Posts: dumping, rubbish, veolia, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 6936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry everyone - I had a Dianne Abbott moment there. Actual rubbish density is one piece for every 10 steps. It's not a landfill scale disaster I suppose but very bad nonetheless!

I agree that it's been quite a depressing experience 'noticing' all the rubbish instead of stepping over/around it and averting my eyes to something more pleasant. I particularly dislike the oozy stains that appear round dumped bags - the area round the bus-stop near Stanhope Gardens has a permanent sticky, oily glaze on the recently replaced pavement. (There used to be a waste bin close to this stop, but in the last 'regeneration' re-design it was helpfully removed so people just chuck everything on the ground, plus rubbish bags are often dumped alongside it.)

On a wider theme, this exercise has made me think we should move as a society towards the banning of 'single-use' plastic drinks bottles, which seem to be jettisoned everywhere. When you used to be able to return glass bottles for a deposit there would have been far less of this. Could we not develop re-usable plastic bottles with a deposit scheme attached?

Mapping the dumping as you've done, Kotkas, can be extremely useful.
It's why I prefer the FixMyStreet website rather than use Haringey's own offering.

Having said this, it can sometimes look like a cry of rage or for help! This is my search on Green Lanes N4. Starring some anonymous person in the Gardens. 

Spoke to the street sweeper this morning on Falkland Rd. They sweep just once a week. Even he said how surprised he is at the amount of rubbish after the weekends.

I asked what the difference is with Crouch End. He just laughed and said, 'The people!'.

Can I also suggest that this enormously valuable crowd-sourced snapshot might benefit from some similarly crowd-sourced sitting back and doing some Sherlock-Holmes-style reflecting. An "hmm, interesting,  three-bag-problem", if you like.
I think we all have our assumptions and preconceptions and many of those may be accurate. But I tend to think that other people's thoughts and ideas may stimulate creativity. Again to borrow from Sherlock, trying to  observe as well as see.

Fairfax and Falkland yesterday morning, as I completely forgot to do it on Sunday, sorry, but took the pics after I dropped my daughter to school. 

Yikes!

My apologies in advance if this has already been announced and discussed on HoL. But I've just looked up the Council's website and noticed that on 30 June 2017 "Cabinet" member Cllr Peray Ahmet signed  approval for the following charges for the waste service:

"Bulky waste removal at £25 for 4 items and £10 per additional item from 24th July 2017". (All forms of bulky waste now chargeable.)
"Replacement wheeled bins for refuse and recycling at £30 per bin from 31st July 2017."
"Green garden waste collections at £75 per annum from 23rd October 2017, with options for reduced capacity/cost available ...

Whether or not the extra charges will make up the cost of collecting any extra rubbish on our streets remains to be seen. (Assuming that anyone could trust "secret" Haringey to let us into the truth of this.)
My own guess is that, if anyone thought that J.K. Galbraith's "public squalor" had already arrived in Haringey then "you ain't seen nothing yet".

We may be looking forward to the borough firmly retaining its crown as the fly-tipping capital of the UK.

The documents are available on the Council's website from this page.

Oh great! So that's going to mean -

Even less bulk waste is removed and more dumped
When the wheelie bin becomes unusable or is nicked more bin bags end up in the street
Garden waste will compost gently in gutters and on pavements

You really couldn't plan for a better way of turning this borough into an even bigger tip that it already is. Will it actually save money or will more just be spent on giving Veolia work outside of their contract to clean up the s**t?
I was just thinking through the impact on my neighbours. One of them, twice a year, does a beautiful job of the hedges at the front of her property. Is she really going to shell out a minumum of £55 to enter into an annual contract to have that removed? It'll go straight into her household waste bin (for which I can't blame her) and end up in landfill rather than being composted. This is idiotic, counterproductive and I can't see it saving anywhere near the £1m or so stated in the report once ad hoc cleaning and clearing costs are factored in.
What happens if Veolia are responsible for damaging your wheelie bin? How on earth do we prove that it's their responsibility and we shouldn't be charged?. Wouldn't this scheme mean the cheapest way to get yourself another is to take it from someone else's front garden? Will we be chaining them up now?

Another bloody wheelie bin is a seriously retrograde step. I don't mind paying, but I don't want another bloody wheelie bin and I fear what the wider consequences of charging might be, particularly on bulky wate.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service